I’m approaching the 1000km mark on this bike in the 3 months I’ve had it. A few more subtle changes have been made that further refine the bike to my tastes.
I was very much on the border of large and extra large, I went with XL, and I realised the bike was marginally too long for me; lifting the front end was just slightly too much effort to be comfortable. With this in mind I made some changes.
Firstly, I borrowed a shorter stem from a friend (and subsequently kept it). 45mm versus the stock 60mm. This made the bike feel that little bit more poppy and direct.
Secondly, I pushed the seat forward a few millimetres. It’s amazing how the smallest changes can have such a big impact. I found when climbing I was really quite far forward on the seat – sitting on the narrow nose. Shifting it forward made things more comfortable as I was sitting on a larger surface area during those really steep and nasty climbs.
Thirdly, I bought a 140mm air shaft for the fork. This raised the bottom bracket ever so slightly (more on that soon), and while I don’t think the extra 10mm of travel has had much of an impact, the lower leg service has made the fork more supple, particularly around initial stiction. I’ve read a few times that out of the box forks can be a bit hit and miss in their setup – a lower leg service, which is actually quite easy to perform – is a worthy task to undertake.
Related to the fork lengthening, I had set the rear shock into the high position. This was to raise the bottom bracket by 5mm as it’s pretty rocky where I ride and I was suffering with a lot of pedal strikes. This also steepened the head angle by half a degree. Lengthening the fork took that back to the initial 66 degrees.
The next major upgrade I want to make is to replace the cranks with 170mm or even 165mm. They’re 175mm stock and, as mentioned, I get a lot of pedal strikes. It’s been very unnerving at times. It has forced me to become better with my timing when riding through very rocky sections. Becoming a better bike handler is no bad thing, but I do think reducing the length will refine it that bit more. I’m not in a huge rush to do this but it is in the back of my mind.
I’m not sure how many hours I’ve ridden – Strava seems to only give me distance metrics (Strava is so roady!) but I’ve just given the rear shock a can service. Again, very easy to do. I was getting a bit of a squeaky sound at the start of the shock stroke – like a mouse screaming. While I was in there I’ve removed one of the 2 volume spacers – just to try it out really. It’s back together and the shock sounds and feels better. I’m yet to ride it to feel the volume spacer difference.
Not long ago I received an email from YT stating they were sending me a new toolkit with a shock pump that has a shorter valve head on it. As mentioned in my part one the supplied pump didn’t really fit. Reading forum posts it seems later deliveries of the bike have the updated shock pump. I’m glad to see YT have addressed this issue.
I’ve also been reading of the problems people have been having with the lockout switch. Interestingly it appears YT have started supplying a different shock with open being the natural position. Mine, which was one of the first out of the door, has a shock that defaults to locked out; Requiring the bar lever to be engaged, pulling the cable, to open the shock. I do wish mine was one that defaulted to open. I’m a bit annoyed about that actually.
While I was writing this the doorbell rang and the new YT toolkit arrived. Now I have more Allen keys than I know what to do with, and another torque wrench.
Overall, I’m really enjoying the bike. I’m really particular about my setup, as you can see by all the tweaks I’ve made, and whichever bike I got I would have been experimenting with different settings.